Thursday, June 24, 2010

June 24th - Rural NSW and a little navel gazing.

Well I woke up this morning in the small town of Harden in rural NSW. My parents live here and as they are both now in their 70's and have unfortunate failing health, the time in Aus offers me the opportunity to spend a little time with them in between days that I might be needed to attend the IVF clinic.

I had a call on the way out here yesterday from the clinic nurses. They have asked me to start taking the Synarel from last night. I have done so and will now continue with one puff in one nostril morning and night until the harvest. The nasal spray is just as any others I have had before. It does run down the back of your throat a bit and has an unpleasant taste, but that taste goes away after half hour or so, so no worries!

Last night my Mum was asking me about the egg donation process and when the harvest will happen, and what I need to do etc, and well the truth is, I can't give her many of the facts. The process is dependant on my body and how it decides to react, carry on, etc. So I told Mum to sign up to the blog so she can follow along. Poor Mum. I think she thought that was me being lame.

She's an angel my Mum. She worries that I'm yet to have my own children. She also worries why I would go through such an invasive procedure when I haven't had my own kids yet. She worries too much. But then that's what Mum's do right?

So a little background on me. I haven't had my own children and I am 35, so statistically I am not normally considered a good candidate for egg donation. Its just that I have had a successful pregnancy before and while the beautiful little girl who was born is not my daughter (she was adopted), it means my body is fertile and I have been through all the necessary counselling associated with the separation of the biological parent to the child, and in this case, my eggs which may or may not become a child. And yes, I am good about it all. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I met the little Baby girl's parents. I was on a high like I've never felt meeting them and discussing how elated they were to have a baby girl to call their own. And some five years on, I am still very secure about my decision to have that baby adopted out. At the time I couldn't give her a father nor financial stability, so what kind of parent was I going to make? I didn't want to chance it, so she went to an a home where all of that was provided, and so much more.

So today... apart from some family time today (two of my sisters and a niece and a nephew were also visiting my parents), I have continued taking the Provera once a day and the Synarel twice daily. I was also asked by the nurses to come back in tomorrow before midday to get a DNA mouth swab test to see if I am a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. If I am a carrier and my friend's husband (sperm element of this process) is a carrier then we have a 1 in 4 chance of creating an embryo which would develop into a child with Cystic Fibrosis. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm now off to bed early as I need to catch the 2am train out of this wee town to get back to Sydney in order to get to the clinic to get a mouth swab done... breathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment